Envelope Bands on Envelope Breaks
Attribute Description: The Envelope Breaks trace reflects the minimums in the Envelope. The Envelope Bands (Energy Bands) give the average energy of the envelope between adjacent pairs of Envelope breaks. This identifies regions of strong energy. Since this is using Envelope Breaks, the discontinuities are not always as sharp as the phase breaks.
Interpretation Use: This attribute may provide value by:
- Identifying major units of strong energy and thus weak energy
- Showing boundaries of sequences and depositional environments
- Showing discontinuities and faults
For this example, we use a colorbar that highlights the higher energy zones in the seismic. Since this is based on Envelope Breaks – it tends to be lower frequency by nature. Note the values are positive.
Computation: The Energy bands on envelope is similar to energy bands on phase breaks. This attribute integrates by summing the envelope signal between envelope troughs.
This result is the envelope bands on envelope.
- Taner, M. T., 2001, Seismic attributes: Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists Recorder, 26, no 7.
- Tom Smith, 2017, Paradise Instantaneous Attributes